Tuesday, May 1, 2007

IN TUNE: SEVENTH TRUTH


I was in college when I heard Aziza Mustafa Zadeh's album Seventh Truth. An introspective track, which swings between being fiercely emotional, joyful and sad, it touched me immensely.
There was the charming Ay dilber, the subdued I am sad, Wild Beauty, etc. But the song that affected me the most was Fly with me. This beautiful singer from Azerbaijan(once part of the USSR) sang the English and Azeri lyrics about the adventure to free one's spirits, to the sound of the western classical piano, supported by percussion and the sound of drums. All incorporated to the strains of traditional Arabic melody! There was no boundary to her style, but a beautiful fusion of diverse lyrics, vocals and instruments. It was the most melodious attempt at bridging the gap between world music. I went into raptures every time I heard it.
Not only was the song pleasing to the ears, it made me open-minded about various forms of music. It also taught me not to be limited by favourites and to keep an open mind and listen.

No comments: